RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mirion
Hi All, New guy here. This looks like a forum I could like, I have read about 40 pages so far, lots of comradery. Having recently retired I am getting back into RC flying after about a 20 year absence. I started out reading as much as I can about the latest stuff. I then bought a copy of Real Flight Simulator and did a little honing of the relexes, it felt good so I bought a EFlite Maule electric (not to crazy about electric) so that I could get some stick time this fall before the Michigan snow flew. Kind of like riding a bike, it all came back and I am excited to get my Ultra Sport 60, Goldberg Chipmunk and a couple others back in shape for spring. Most of my engines, mostly 4-strokes were gummed up. I loosened them up a little with some kerosene so I could partially disassemble them. I then put them in an ultrasonic cleaner with LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner and they came out looking like new. It was fun tearing them down and I got an education on the different brands seeing as I have an Enya 80, a 48 OS Surpass and several Saitos, they all have slightly different variations on the cam timing systems. The David McIntire videos on YouTube were a big help. I have also picked up a couple more used Saitos off Fleabay and I have a couple questions regarding the Saitos.

First off, where is the best place to pick up Saito parts (I have some older ones, FA91, FA80 and FA65) I found a place called McGregor/Hobby Plastic in the UK, are there any others state side?

It looks like Boca is a good place for bearings. How do you determine if bearings need replacing, mine all feel smooth with no bad spots. I have 45 years in the machine tool business so I have some experience with knowing what a bad bearing feels like although these are a little higher RPM than my experiences.

Looks like ICBIMP might be a good place for gaskets.

Thanks for any input as I attempt to read all 1,521 pages on this forum..... Mike in Michigan

I have been very happy with sourcing parts from the folks at Mc Gregors. They seen to have a good supply of the older parts that horizon often ignores. Also do well buying parts on eBay as every now and then Saito owners sell off parts they no longer need.
The rings from eBay (and direct) ring maker in England known as "Swarf Monkey" are excellent. Properly made and heat treated, every oneI have purchased has worked perfectly. Failing that, some lathe owners make them at home when needed. (My lathe is one tool that I will not give up ) Gaskets, you can make em or buy them. Several sources for bearings .For engines I intend to keep around, I usually try to source US or European made, name brand high quality bearings. Pays off in the long run.