RCU Forums - View Single Post - To filter or not to filter that’s is the question?
Old 11-17-2018, 07:31 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

[QUOTE=Len Todd;12479407 But, there are new risks introduced when a filter is installed (e.g. Potential leak, filter plugging, etc.) But, …

Jetcat took out the option on the RXi. [/QUOTE]

The OP wants to know the practice of others. I am volunteering my years of experience with my engines and those of my students. Yes, most of the time there is a filter after the pump, because the manufacturer thinks that their fuel pump will fail. There's some confidence in your product. The electric side of the pump fails more than the fuel pump side.

So, IF you buy a JetCat RXI engine series, IF you get the clogged engine filter, those owners have to take the engine out of the jet and go through lost flying time and the expense of shipping the engine in for a simple clogged filter after their pump failed? This is also if the pilot is good enough to successfully land a flame out dead stick. What I have watched at the field, 50% plus aren't able to deal with a dead stick without substantial damage to the jet......maybe even a total of airframe and engine. All due to a filter that the owner operator can't access to clean of a manufacturer's failed fuel pump that created the issue to start?

I do truly get having filters to prevent damage, clogged fuel spray and hotspot fuel spray. IMHO, we over filter.