RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flying Stabs
Thread: Flying Stabs
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 04:51 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Greg no need for flames lol.
I too don't balance all my jets. I did not balance the stabs on my F22. It went through two sets of new gears due to wear on 8711 servos. If they where balanced the wear would have been much less. Some I do if I feel they need it. The first few carf mepohestoes where crashing due to elevator needing to be balanced. Saw the tail come off two and one was able to land using thrust vectoring and another lawn dart because he did not have it. They where flying in formation and both got to a certain speed and both came apart almost the same time. Now CARF fixed that problem I understand by balancing the stabs at the factory. Also the BVM F16 got balanced and I understand now its done at the factory. Back when I built Barrys it was not balanced but BVM supplied a kit to balance them because Bob felt it was needed. . I did balance my big F15 and also my F18. They where really big heavy models and the stabs where very out of balance and did not want the extra servo wear.

Now this guys plane while is a flying stab its a straight stab and not like a stab on a jet. I seem to remember a mandatory SB on these stabs on the full scale relating to the counter weights, hinges, corrosion and some crashes. All I know is I have had to spend countless hours in my 20 years as an aircraft mechanic and IA inspector balancing flight controls to manufactures specs. I find it hard to believe its all a waist of time and the aircraft manufactures don't know what they are talking about.

Bottom line
How many aircraft have crashed because some one took the time to properly balance a stab? 0
How many have crashed because they didn't balance the stab and got flutter...…. Lots.

While it might not happen on this guys plane he has a place for the counter weight and its in the same place as the full scale. Why not utilize it? Cheap insurance.