RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIMLA BUILD THREAD
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 07:15 PM
anox1246

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Simla came in at 9lb - 10 oz (no fuel) with monokote covering. It was almost perfectly balanced with the YS 80. This engine pulls if very nicely. I get very good vertical, but speed is limited by the thick airfoil. I'd say with the tuned pipe, it probably has the power of a standard 90. Like others, I needed quite a bit of down elevator trim to stabilize it on maiden. Once trimmed, it was a very nice flying airplane. Roll rate was surprisingly fast with the 96" wing and engine combination. Unfortunately, the YS 80 is a helicopter engine, and has a large heat-sink area. While it loves 90+ degree summertime weather, it does not perform well under 60F. I put four flights on Saturday, and had four dead stick landings due to engine outs. The glide rate is impressive, and dead-stick landings are no problem.

I had originally planned to install either an OS 90 or 108 FSR engine (have both). These engines are quite large, and would not fit without moving the firewall back about 1/2" (or extending the nose a bit), so I strapped on the YS 80 (60 size case). I'd recommend one of the newer 90s that are in the smaller 60 size case (e.g. TT 91, OS 91 FX, OS 95AX)

I'm up for a Simla meet once warm weather returns in the spring. We have a nice field that may be centrally located for the east-coasters, just a bit east of Chattanooga TN (Bradley County RC Model Airplane Club).

-Chris