RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIGPlanes.com Going Out of Business
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 05:25 PM
imcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
For those who have never been to the annual FlyIn in June, SigPlanes had a team of guys who did the distribution of Sig planes. They all wore SigPlane.com shirts, and were not affiliated with SIG, but had a Liaison between SIG and their company. A couple years ago there was a kerfuffle, Heads butted and a few members left to organization, the head butting was over the direction things were headed. I believe the person(s) who left were the major organizers behind SigPlanes. I believe this to be the final outcome of the Kerfuffle.

I personally feel that the way SIG is heading, the path that HH has, with all ARF, could very well cause more harm than good. Lets face it, SIG did not get to where they are on ready made planes, they got there by serving the building community. Not saying SIG should stop selling ARF, keep up the sales, but they also need to keep in mind those who got them there. They did try with the Rascal168, but I feel they went too big too soon, SIG does not make Giant scale aircraft, they make the average scale, so I believe they went too big too soon. The guys behind the Rascal are no longer with SIG, and unfortunately, they were also the designers of several of the kits we have enjoyed for decades.

I also believe that if SIG were to obtain the rights to Top Flite and Goldberg/Great Planes kits, they would not need to put a lot of effort to improve the kits to SIG standards and produce the kits under the SIG name. Pretty sure they would sell. There are plenty of guys, including me, who are looking for some of those kits. They already have the equipment in the laser cutters, and those kits that are die crushed could be converted to laser cut, which would be a huge improvement in fit and finish and overall quality.
i think Sig could start a Lazer cutting business. They already have the wood. Space and machines.