RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread
Old 12-07-2018, 04:01 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah Tower shows order pending but HH shows Discontinued. The TF ARF is still available.

As for paint, TJC333, Take the new covering, dark blue, you have and have it matched at an auto paint shop. They can also give you advice on the type of paint to use and they should be able to make a rattle can for you. At the very least you can get a pint of paint to match.
The cowl should not be a problem to paint with Upol Urethane primer if you sand it down first. That will give you a good base to paint it easily with something from the paint shop. Your looking for single stage paint so it has a glossy finish when dry like the covering. On the canopy it can be tricky because its not really polycarbonate its more like PETG. The Upol primer will be ok if you apply it lightly and apply a couple coats.

I went down this road trying to use Top Flite/Monocoat products which was a huge disappointment because they don't match the paint to the flat blue covering. So I used Tamiya lacquer on my cowl and its darker blue, closer to real, but passable and I hate it. I'll be changing that for next season or so. I want to paint the plane after glassing it all.

Maybe, big maybe, you can use gloss dark blue Monocoat and Top Flite Gloss dark blue paint. I think those should be a closer match right off the Tower website rather going down this custom paint road.