RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito FG-60R3
Thread: Saito FG-60R3
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 12:24 PM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,
As per RCxel, the multi-cylinder ignitions set the spark to go off as the magnet APPROACHES the sensor, so 53Deg BTDC is where it is sending the spark. In a slow roll of the engine you are likely to get a spark when it goes passed as well, but be wary of doing that. RCxel and SAITO both warn that it is bad for the ignition systems.
I have had a chat with some people in the 'know' with ignitions, and they say that the ignitions are programmed to RETARD the timing to about 5-7Deg BTDC at under 1000rpm (or thereabouts), from 1000 a curve starts advancing the timing in degrees until around 4000rpm, after which the timing stays at 28Deg....it doesnt advance any more. The reason why timing is set at 28Deg is because thats where the ignition 'rest point' is (for lack of a better term). The circuitry is actually RETARDING for starting and low revs, and then brings the timing back to its rest point at 28Deg.
I have just helped a guy at the field with his FG60, his timing from factory was 49Deg BTDC, had it in an old H9 P-47. Would battle to start with hand or starter, plane was 'lazy' he said, and he could never do a loop with it. Timing was set at 28Deg as explained, and the smile on his face was a sight when it fired up after 3 flicks. He hastily put it in the air, and said it was a different plane! Looped to his hearts content. This is a VERY experienced jet pilot! He also had a H9 Corsair 60cc with an FG84 in it, that blew itself to bits. He gave the plane to a friend of his, as a gift he was so frustrated with it.
Go back a few pages, you can see Adrien from CH-Ignitions sets the timing, I have done a little tutorial as well. Be aware, it will VOID you warranty, but the chances of you having to send it back will decrease by about 90%......chances are you will wear the engine out flying it instead..

SingleDual-Sensor-Tester.pdf

Have a look at that link, it will tell you all you need to know.

Be aware as well, you CANNOT get the timing to 30Deg with the existing Saito Hall Sensor and prop hub, they dont line up. You will need to make some changes.....if you want to look into it, look back to posts Adrien and I made in this thread. You have options there, or opt for Morris redesigned prop hub.

Last edited by cathurga; 12-09-2018 at 12:32 PM.