RCU Forums - View Single Post - F-14 Digital Airshow
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 11:34 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
Full cockpit sims are neat, but impractical for most people. And when you want to fly a P-51 you are doing it from an F-16 cockpit, there are many advantages that VR has going for it. You don't need an expensive cockpit with instruments, in DCS all the virtual switches work. A basic cockpit, mine cost less than $100.00 will be immersive flying anything from WW1 to the present. VR is way more immersive than looking at screens and many new motion platforms are becoming available that would not work with a full blown heavy cockpit. It is impossible to convey the feeling of VR, it must be experienced, so if you have not tried it you will dismiss what I say and go for the eye candy set up, that's normal though. VR tricks your brain into thinking the experience is real, something monitors will never do, it's pretty cool!

I actually want to build an F-18 basic cockpit for VR that has the handles on the canopy frame, so that I can grab them to pull myself around to check my six, just as I would in the real deal.
Things up close in VR have amazing resolution, it's just things at a distance become fuzzy, but with advancements in technology, that will improve over time. With my set up I have my textures on high for aircraft and ground and super sampling at 1.7, this really makes the cockpits very crisp, I only have to move my head closer on some switches that have super small lettering, but once you know the cockpit you will not be reading labels.

I got mine on Amazon, it's similar to this one, I just doubled the RAM on mine to 32GB. It's all about what you want to spend though, this system will run DCS just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/iBUYPOWER-Des.../dp/B07GK12DN7

My next upgrade will be the rudder pedals:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...pr_pedals.html

THanks, I will look at that unit from Amazon. I am also thinking about just getting the (external) graphics card, and using my laptop to see how it looks then just build a tower system up. What about the display itself, which do you recommend?

Also, and off the wall question, have you ever tried Nvidia Gamestream technology?