RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito FG-60R3
Thread: Saito FG-60R3
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 02:13 AM
Didier

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Guys.
Yesterdag I had a discussion with a guy that has his own car racing company. He designs his own cars and works together with his team on LMP2 cars. He is basically tuning engines all day long.
Long story short:
With the high compression ratio we have, together with the to much advanced timing and using regular fuel, NO engine will survive in the end ever!!!
The default timing shall always be 28-30 degree BTDC.
Ofcourse most saito’s fg60 survive due to the nature not being a racing engine and will run partial power most of the time.
But the thing is, fundamentally Saito made a couple of mistakes. Compression ratio (specs of a glow engine, not gas!), engine ignition timing and more or less geometry of the crankshaft.
You can argue about the “blow-by” oil system and intake system but this is not the reason why engines seize of cylinders break with good oil.
The method they use in racing to get the optimum timing is they put the car on a dyno, go full power and advance the timing until peak power and go back a little.
This is what we could do as well I guess. Put timing, let say about 26 degrees BTDC, go full power and advance the timing until top RPM and then go 1-2 degrees back. I guess nobody wants to volunteer with their vingers half an inch from the running prop?