RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito FG-60R3
Thread: Saito FG-60R3
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 03:40 AM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, more theory and advice to support our theory of the imperfect design Saito have put out.
But we must do what we can to get a balance between power and longevity.
i used to support the lack of oil ‘blow-by’, and argued that fact a long way back in this thread. That is, until I opened the engine for the first time, and found the crankcase and valve guides/rockers swimming in oil. There is more than enough lube from running a 20:1 mix in these engines. I’ve never been opposed to the inlet design really, apart from the fact that the lower cylinders DO get a richer mixture and this is evident by the temps of those two being lower, and by the run in process not getting the bottom two to fire properly. The intake would benefit from that inlet plenum/chamber being smaller and by stopping fuel dripping into the lower two inlets, potentially causing a hydrolock. I don’t think hydrolock has caused breakages, most failures have happened with running engines.
The compression ratio is also not as big a concern in my opinion, although if could be putting strain on big ends, crank bearings and gudgeons, but with the timing set at 28deg I think it should be ok. If it is a factor then those with the new pistons and correct timing will have the best setup possible for these engines.
i already tried moving the timing on a running engine LOL!😄 That’s how I found out that pushing the timing all the way up towards TDC (retarding it) when the sensor was in the stock position, made it run best. It wasn’t difficult or scary to do as I loosened the screws first, started it, then moved the sensor in small increments, the challenge is trying to stabilise/rest your hand on a HOT running engine, putting gloves on helped, but made it more difficult to shift the sensor in small increments.