RCU Forums - View Single Post - Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread
Old 12-14-2018, 01:15 PM
pcskyhi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RP-Stinger
Thanks for the info, and yes those numbers sound like what I had and was using. I like the dowels in the 2x4, that can be handy. I also have done similar old school setups for my giant planes, just wasn't sure about the strength on the jet wing. Makes since on staying up by the root.
I am going to try both methods again later this afternoon/eve just to satisfy myself. I will post my findings from both ways. Thanks
when using electronic CG machine/scales keep in mind that you have to make the aircraft flight level while sitting on the scales. It is assumed we all know this but you always see demonstrations where people just sit the aircraft on the scales and start balancing. when I first received my CG machine/scales we set a jet on there that was already flying well just to see where the CG machine would compare to the mechanical CG machine the jet was originally set up on. We put the jet on the electronic CG machine and it showed the jet to be tail heavy and we added over a pound of weight to the nose section to make the plane CG on the electronic machine. When we put the airframe on the mechanical CG machine it was extremely nose heavy. We were scratching our heads??? through some post on RCU we were told to make the aircraft flight level (we stuck some magazines under the scales for the mains) and magic happened. So now we make the aircraft flight level first before adding/subtracting weight or moving things around. The other thing we do because some aircraft will squat on their main gear struts, we use zip ties to stop the struts from squatting. I thought I would just mention it just in case because I don't want to assume you already knew. Some manufacturers and fellow modelers think certain things don't have to be mentioned because they assume we should already know. I tell people to talk to me as I know nothing because I don't know a lot of things when it comes to this hobby on this level. So far we have only had one aircraft that sat on it gear flight level and did not require adding something under the scales to level it.
Good luck!