RCU Forums - View Single Post - Engine size confusion
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 10:50 AM
left seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine size confusion

I has recently built a Lanier 1/4 scale Taylorcraft and put it on floats. The engine I installed was a DLE 35. Owing to the wide cowel the 35 fit like a dream with little to no alterations. Originally I had purchased a Zenoah G26 but I was advised that since I would be flying off floats the G26 would be a little low on hp so I went up to the DLE 35. On the maiden flight the 35 had plenty of power and she took off with little throttle. On the second curciut something went horribly wrong. And due to a catastropic mechanical malfunction, something siezed up and didn't respond to commands and she spiralled into the water totally distroyed. As one can imagine this loss was devastating. After retrieving the wreck I salvaged what I could. Now I would buy another Taylorcraft but Lanier is no longer in buisness so I bought a Sig 1/4 scale cub. The problem I have now is the DLE 35 is too long and moving the firewall back won't solve the cowel issue since the cowel was made for a specific engine length. So, I have the Zenoah which is almost the correct length but it is so wide I would have to cut away an awful lot of the coweling in order to make it fit. Plus it is fairly underpowered, from what I have been told, and I've been working on the fuse but have to stop because I'm not sure which way to go. I might have to bite the bullet and buy a new engine. This sucks because both engines are new and I would like to stick to gasoline for fuel because of the low cost of operation. Any modification suggestions or perhaps new engine suggestions ( gas engine that would fit with no modification ) would be greatly appreciated