RCU Forums - View Single Post - Things that would be interesting to know - "Taj-Muncie" usage
Old 12-17-2018, 02:06 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Carrier based Naval Aviation is often cited as an example of a High Reliability Organization (HRO), along with nuclear power, and US Navy submarine operations. In my consulting work, my clients have asked me to help them build their organization to incorporate best practices. It's a combination of overarching policy, operator focused procedures, training, drills, day to day operations, debrief, and continuos improvement. I've offered to help AMA develop fit for purpose aspects of these same best practices, pro bono, but they refused.

Now that the future of model aviation safety and operations may look a lot more like manned aircraft safety and operations, you'd think the'd be more interested.
I think, even though they'll argue it and express their opinions, the reality of it has yet to really sink in with most modelers. Someone mentions safety and they all shout out the safety record of the hobby. Never addressing the facts that: 1. Contrary to what many claim, people have been killed in this hobby. and 2. The vast majority of this safety record was before Multi Rotors, Jet engines and a lot of giants or 1/4-1/2 scale.

Been following a jet build on another forum. F-104 at 1/4 scale (I think). Anyway the fuselage is over 4 meters (163 inches) long and the wing just under 2 meters. All wood using laser cut ply bulkheads and balsa planking and glass. 50 plus pound thrust engine. In another build thread the OP bought a $6500 box of components (I refuse to call it a kit) and a $2500 engine. And since his current radio didn't have enough channels, he got a new $1500 radio. This doesn't even address the servos, engine support, special ducting, fuel tanks and the electrical layout. Couple of more grand?

Now I fully agree this activity can be done safely. But how do we know who is and isn't safe? Because the AMA blessed them? And as is obvious above, money is little or no object for many of these people. And many have more money than brains. A 163 inch lawn dart made from wood and fiberglass just doesn't quite pass the smell test for me. Maybe it's all good? Some of the 104 kits are flying. But.........???

I'm embarking on my biggest build yet. I've had questions I've posted. And I've received answers that basically said "you do this, this and that." OK fine but, who the heck are you? How do I know what you're suggesting is really safe and proper?

Point is some of our models are approaching the same aerodynamic forces and needs as any GA aircraft. HOW do we know out balsa, lite ply and bits of carbon and glass are up to the job? Who engineered it and what are their credentials?

Yet more of these things are now flying than ever before. And they're bigger and faster than ever before. And it doesn't take a genius to tell you, the more of these things you put up, the greater chance of something bad happening. And what are we, the hobbyist doing to protect the general public?