RCU Forums - View Single Post - LOCKHEED P-38J “LIGHTNING”. A giant 1/4 scale scratch built model
Old 12-23-2018, 10:47 AM
fbielsa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2. Engines

Another essential factor in the reliability of this aircraft is to use prestige engines, new and well run in at the bench, in order to get similar responses from the start.

I had previously commented that the use of counter-rotating engines does not influence the stability of the model, but if we use them I advise to place them at 0 degrees and, unlike how they turn in the original, rotating from top to bottom towards the central nacelle. In this way the torque would be equalized and it would have more stability if one of them stops. Recall that, in the real one, turned in the opposite direction from the YP-38 series, due to aerodynamic reasons that do not matter in our model. In my case, being two engines with normal rotation, the right one is set 2 degrees to the right.

Having to be mounted in inverted position, I installed two powerful and reliable 2-stroke single-cylinders MVVS 80 IRS® (4.882 cu. in.)with Pitts type mufflers. Each engine delivers about 9 hp, power perfectly adjusted to the size and wing load of this model, and fits well under the bulky cowling.