RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Poop has hit the fan !
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 08:41 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
I wonder how this plan is working out? Think we might be getting a report from AMA?

https://www.modelaircraft.org/progra...entive-program

It would be nice to get some actual feedback about this and not just another heavily bias opinion. I had already planned on visiting my local hobby shop today and will speak to the owner about this. Back when I was managing a hobby shop most kit boxes came with AMA pamphlets in them. No doubt that AMA was providing the pamphlets for them. As Great Planes started buying up companies I saw this seemingly stop. Maybe there was a connection, maybe just coincidence. Most airplanes at that time required a developed flying field so one way or another guys got turned onto a club. Unfortunately the clubs don't support the shops very well. That aspect I never really understood, I always believed the clubs and shops working together to promote the hobby would have been a win-win for both.

As far as a hobby shop getting a kick kick back from the AMA, I think it would be a great idea if the shop were able to sell the AMA membership right there and then. Have the customer walk out of the store with their card. Maybe add a 5.00 fee for this service. It gets guys their AMA right away and it has the potential to increase foot traffic in the store. Again a Win-win. It would also be nice if the AMA would send out packets to new members that included information about clubs and retailers in their area. Bottom line here is that I feel we all ( The Hobbyist, retailers, clubs and AMA ) need to be working together to promote our hobby.