RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Poop has hit the fan !
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 09:58 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie

It would be nice to get some actual feedback about this and not just another heavily bias opinion. I had already planned on visiting my local hobby shop today and will speak to the owner about this. Back when I was managing a hobby shop most kit boxes came with AMA pamphlets in them. No doubt that AMA was providing the pamphlets for them. As Great Planes started buying up companies I saw this seemingly stop. Maybe there was a connection, maybe just coincidence. Most airplanes at that time required a developed flying field so one way or another guys got turned onto a club. Unfortunately the clubs don't support the shops very well. That aspect I never really understood, I always believed the clubs and shops working together to promote the hobby would have been a win-win for both.

As far as a hobby shop getting a kick kick back from the AMA, I think it would be a great idea if the shop were able to sell the AMA membership right there and then. Have the customer walk out of the store with their card. Maybe add a 5.00 fee for this service. It gets guys their AMA right away and it has the potential to increase foot traffic in the store. Again a Win-win. It would also be nice if the AMA would send out packets to new members that included information about clubs and retailers in their area. Bottom line here is that I feel we all ( The Hobbyist, retailers, clubs and AMA ) need to be working together to promote our hobby.
The problem isn't the "ease" of getting an AMA card, it's the lack of perceived value for the money. "Joe Average" guy that walks into a LHS, who's buying a plane to fly in a park is rightfully asking "What do I get for my $75?" When the answer is "a magazine, insurance, 'advocacy', and access to local flying fields" I submit that Joe Average looks at those and isn't seeing the value.

I know you see the value in membership but I submit that many, most especially the AMA EC, needs to face the fact that most people do not see the value. And "telling them about it" over and over hasn't convinced them so far, so not sure why doing more of the same in the form of pamphlets and a card in their wallet will produce a differnet result.

I maintain the best reason for AMA membership is access to the local flying field. But that's only a value for people that "need" or "want" a local field. For the guy with his kid in the local park, they could care less. For the guy with a kid that's trying to fit this into a schedule that involves baseball, soccer, drama, etc., the distance to the field is an issue. And lastly, even IF they're still with you at this point, are they willing to pay for access to the field if it involves an additional cost?

In my case, that's $100 above and beyond AMA. Well, I've got a garage full of 40-75 size stuff that I can't fly in the park. Yet I dropped my membership and they've sat. Why? 20 minutes each way to the field, rough grass that's hard on anything smaller than 20cc models, and time spent waiting for 3D guys to stop hovering in the middle of the runway. Nope. I can save the money, walk to a park 5 minutes away, and make more flights.

My point is, AMA needs to find / create MORE value for the money than they have now. That said, AMA seems to be hanging their hat on getting a waiver to the 400 foot in class G if at AMA field. First, that's far from certain, as commercial users aren't going to like it. But even if they get it, those people are largely already flying at AMA fields now. We'r e not talking vast numbers of new members. I submit that the overwhelming number of folks are more like me, perfectly happy to fly smaller stuff close to home and have no problem with the 400 foot restriction.