RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Duellist 2/60 Build
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 09:49 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Do yourself a BIG favor before you start your plane. Re-read post #590, especially the part about the wing rib profiles.

That's not all that's wrong with the plan, Everything is!

Years ago I purchased a copy of the plan from MAN - not a cheap, distorted copy of a copy from some copyright violator - with the intention of building the plane.

Critical items like the overhead drawing of the fuselage are wrong - it's wider on one side than the other. It also curves like a banana. The bulkheads don't match the views for width and height. The ribs are totally incorrect. Wings are not of equal span. It's a total mess.

In fact, it was so bad that I rejected the project and moved on to a different, similar machine. And only one former was off - by 1/8" in width. Everything else was spot on. What a relief.

I also prefer that choice as it has a tapered leading edge wing with a straight trailing edge. It's also less complicated to build. Also takes only 2 balsa blocks in the nose as opposed to the balsa block factory required for the Duellist and looks very fast and mean when converted to a taildragger on carbon fiber swept back main gear.

You will also need a landing gear mod if you use the OS 55 engines. As it is designed, there is insufficient ground clearance for the required props on those engines.

It's a big project with all the considerations which will develop along the way. My advice is to carefully "build" it in your mind several steps ahead of the actual construction to anticipate the problems which will arise so that you can make the necessary changes that will prevent you from building yourself into a corner.