RCU Forums - View Single Post - Build your own Rc Boat !
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 12:31 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay, that makes things a little different. This brings up a whole new set of questions, to go along with those I already asked"
1) How big of boat do you need? When you think about what you have to put into the boat, you have to consider the length, width and depth of the hull as well as how much everything is going to weigh. The weight of everything will cause the hull to "displace" water. How deep the hull goes to displace that weight in water will determine how deep the hull must be. You need to look at how far into the water they hull will sit and how much "freeboard" or dry side height you want your boat to have. Since your boat is going to have electrical systems in it, you need to consider how much freeboard it will require to keep the electrical systems dry
2) How much "off the shelf" tech can you use? My boats have an onboard radio receiver, throttle and rudder servos and a battery pack. They are all manufactured by Futaba of Japan, along with the transmitter. Since this is a school project, probably electrical engineering, you will probably be designing your own stuff so you need to get that built FIRST
3) What are you going to use for a drive system? There are five basic drive systems that are used on boats or ships
  • Surface drive propellor
  • Subsurface drive propellor
  • Stern paddle wheel
  • Side paddle wheel
  • I don't remember the name but it uses vertical fins that rotate on a horizontal plate on the bottom of the boat
You also have to choose between electric, gas IC or nitro/methane IC for power
4) How are you going to steer your boat, differential steering or using a rudder?

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 01-15-2019 at 12:38 PM.