RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jet Central Cheeta
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 07:53 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

The two turbines that came back from routine service with the brushless starter upgrade that had the high power usage issue are NOT mine. I have two different members that experienced this issue last year. I just helped with their starts as their spotter and listened to their comments. I will pass this discussion on to the one that is still flying jets. The other one gave up on jets last year. I do NOT know if this issue had anything thing to do with that decision.

Using switches and jump starts just seems unnecessary to me. Never needed to do it with my 6 turbines. Actually, one of the manufacturer's instructions specify not using a switch in the turbine's power source. IMO, switches are just another potential single point of failure. Most of the switches on the market can't handle the current that is required anyway. I do use PBox soft switches, which also shuts off the ECU. PBox soft switches fail on. All three of my jets only use about 400 - 500 mah on the turbine power source for a start/flight. I normally get at least 3 flights on an OEM's 2100 mah LiFePo4 s. (LiFePo4 chemistry is designed for high current applications, by the way.) But, I have run 4 start/flights on them, when I forgot to swap them out a couple times. For the Sprint, I get 8 starts on the 5700 mah LiPo before the starts get iffy. The Sprint averages about 400 mah per 10-12 minute flight on the turbine power source. For my situation, jump starting is NOT keeping it simple. So, I agree that the issue we are discussing is NOT normal or at least should not be.