RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 03:42 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CF105

We have a winner!

The specifications set out for the Halifax required it to fit in existing RAF hangars, and also be capable of other roles besides “heavy bomber”. It’s stablemate the Lancaster was under no such limitations. The early versions were Merlin powered, but the switch to the radial Hercules engines really boosted performance.

Bomber command brass much preferred the Lancaster, as it could carry larger bomber, further and at a higher altitude. Crews preferred the “Halibag” as it was more comfortable and easier to move around in. Not to mention your chances of surviving in a crash were better than in a Lanc.

there are two restored airframes, one in Canada and the other in the UK. A third airframe is on display “as found”, also in the UK.

Glider towing Halifaxes wore invasion stripes during D-Day. Others were converted to carry paratroopers and insert SOE operatives.
Well done, Sir! An outstanding question! And congratulations to Top_Gunn for figuring it out. I've been hanging back a bit because I will be tied up for several days starting this weekend. Now: let's see what Al will pose for the gallery. Thanks; Ernie P.