RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vintage Sledgehammer build
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 05:37 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fastests10
Great, I looked at the cheap combo, there are some mixed reviews on them.
I was also looking at the stock traxxas stuff.
Thanks for the suggestions. This stuff is just new to me.
That's the chance you take when going...cheap. I should put in a disclaimer when linking that stuff. I normally don't recommend going super low budget unless someone requests they don't want to shell out money for decent electronics. That's why I linked Hobbywing if wanting a great combo. Hobbywing has never let me down, and are moderately priced for their quality products with warranty (if you buy from authorized retailer, or directly from Hobbywing).

I started using super low budget gear, because I have multiple RCs to play with if my "cheap" stuff craps out on me. One of my favorite cash saving ESCs has been the 60A-SL type. I used to put bids in when up for auction on eBay, but I don't see them being auctioned off too much any anymore. Those 60A-SL speed controls are pretty tough, and work with Hobbywing's programming card. I've been pairing the ESCs with various low cost motors like found HERE. In my case, the bearings never lasted very long. Replace the bearings, and motors last so much longer.

If you were looking at the VXL combo from Traxxas, then I'd still recommend Hobbywing.

Good luck.