RCU Forums - View Single Post - Improving roll ability on my GP Big Stik 60
Old 02-17-2019, 06:03 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Ok, let's adress the ailerons first. Have you measured the throws to make sure the travel is exactly the same for both ailerons up and down? I'm going to assume no. Most guys don't. The first step will be to measure them and adjust them so both ailerons have the exact same travel going upward. Then adjust them so that they have the same travel downward except you want 3/32" less downward movement then upward. This is referred to as aileron differential. It is needed because the aileron deflecting down generates more lift and drag then the upward aileron looses lift and produces drag. The result is when aileron is applied the airplane wants to yaw opposite of the roll direction and pitch up slightly. Second step is to add 1/16" positive wing incidence. The symmetrical airfoil must have some positive AOA in order to generate lift. With a zero zero setting you must add some up trim and you are flying the entire airplane at a positive AOA. That little bit of up trim screws up anything that is not upright level flight. Adding the positive wing incidence will require the CG be moved just a tad forward. Maybe 3/16". The next change would be to add right thrust to the engine if it is not already there. A total of 2 degrees should be fine. This is done to offset the engine torque that wants to constantly pull the airplane to the left.