RCU Forums - View Single Post - Just Curious
Thread: Just Curious
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 08:06 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
The insurance for land owners who let clubs lease flying sires is important. Without it, it would likely become harder than it is to find places to fly.
Funny thing is that insurance is a relatively new option. Not sure exactly when it came about but if memory serves it was around 25 years ago. I know for some members it seems like it was always there. But for those of us who were first members in the 1960's, we can remember a time when such a policy was unavailable. And I believe finding flying sites was much easier back then too. I know my first club flew on the local airport property.

I recall this insurance option came about when clubs started to have more and more trouble getting flying sites. Due in part to our increasingly litigious society. And they cried to the AMA to "Do Something!"
Not suggesting it's a bad idea. But it does lock one into being an AMA member in a Chartered Club.

Now maybe, were the AMA to offer said insurance to non-members and individuals? Maybe, just maybe generate some additional revenue? Maybe even offer the personal liability to non-members? Just a thought to help them raise some more cash. But don't get the impression I'm actually trying to help them in any way!