RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/7 Scale Blackburn Buccaneer All Composite Scratch Build
Old 03-22-2019, 02:35 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

Worked on building the rudder. I decided to try Airex as a foam sandwich material on the skins.

I laser cut the foam and included a 15mm spacing grid of 1mm diameter holes to serve 2 purposes; 1) to prevent any trapped air bubbles & 2) to provide a mechanical bond of epoxy between both sides.

The Airex was easily formed around the leading edge radius with some gentle application of hot air from a heat gun, and when cool it took the necessary set to hold the shape.Otherwise the skin construction followed my normal method, using Klass Kote Epoxy primer first in the mold, a surfacing layer and then 9oz glass cloth, Airex and another layer of glass. This was then vacuum bagged overnight. Once cured, the excess glass was trimmed. Surface detail looked good. The inner structure was laser cut and assembled. Bonding was achieved with thickened epoxy.

Being impatient, I opened the molds once the epoxy was at the 'green' stage, as I am away the entire weekend. The rudder turned out well. A little heavy, but totally due to the heavy glass cloth that I used. I need to order some lighter cloth and make another one. It was a good first test for the Airex sandwich skins.

I had excellent surface detail reproduction. This was the first part made from a laser engraved plug and it worked really well.

Skins laid up and vacuum bagged.

Trimmed skins back in the molds ready for adding the internal structure

Ready to close up the mold halves.

All clamped up - fingers crossed!

It worked!

Paul

Last edited by JSF-TC; 03-22-2019 at 02:38 PM.