RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 04:54 AM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Yeah, that's the ticket Gary. Nice puller and I like how it presses against the beveled collet instead of the crankshaft. Nothing more aggravating than having the whole works pull off instead of just the drive washer popping off when using a standard jaw puller.

SrTele, that 3 jaw puller is pretty sweet too. My modified 2 jaw puller doesn't have that squeezer mechanism. I ground a profile into the jaw tips to seat nicely in the drive washer groove. So far no slipping but it's bound to happen.
Thanks Geekster,

The principle employed is quite a bit different from the Fiz-All type pullers. I have a HUGE collection of pullers on hand. Mostly leftovers from the machine repair days, (Including HEAVY machines/HEAVY pullers) , the automotive machine shop I helped run as part owner, and a lot of motorcycle specific pullers to boot. Many of those were also home made. There is NO chance to make even a slight mark with the full contact brass split collet. The sleeve bearing against the inner taper collet also reduces the required force and better protects the crank nose.

As you know, Doesn't really take a lot of cash to acquire some useful machinery if you kick the bushes and shop well, especially here in the Detroit area. The machines involved in making that puller were a $100 Bridgeport and a $500 Clausing 10 inch lathe.
Far less money involved than a high end chainsaw or a couple of Saito engines! The machines help out with several hobby activities as well. From planes to home made high quality ribbon microphones, to guitar work and gunsmith work. The machines will be here as long as I can move my hands and see to use them!

In fact, I would far rather have a single RC plane and engine and the machines, than 10 or 20 planes and 30 Saito engines. Easy to say however when you have both I guess

Last edited by Jesse Open; 04-02-2019 at 05:02 AM.