RCU Forums - View Single Post - Growth: Whose responsiblity is it?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 08:35 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
I never had such a problem when I was running my flight school and the hobby shop. The parents and kids always showed up and if someone was late, on occasion it was me.
I insisted that the parent fly so that his or her kid would have someone to fly with, also the parent would learn as much as the kids about the hobby. I had a least one mother who really got into the hobby, building and became an officer and instructor in a club. She turned out to be an excellent builder and flier. Several father and son duos would be at the field on a regular basis.
Nice to see at least one of us lives in a perfect world. In my world parents/adults have little time for leisure and it takes a dedicated parent/adult to allocate the time to travel to and from the field not only for a child to learn to fly but to continue on after they have their wings. Very few parents/adults profess an interest in the hobby. You mention when you had your hobby shop what happened to that? I think it would have been the perfect place to continue to teach your method. I know what you claim however that just doesn't jive with the fact no one including the AMA has expressed a real interest in your method. Not disputing it may well be a good way to teach its just not a concern of the majority. Has any club including yours endorsed your method and using it today? The rose colored glasses you wear about your method and the poor opinion you compare the other clubs are using may just have put others off about trying your method.

Dennis