RCU Forums - View Single Post - Growth: Whose responsiblity is it?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 04:53 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Propworn
You don't understand at all. It’s not a mater of winning. That's not the point at all. If you feel you have a legitimate, superior method of teaching you need to promote it not by alienating those you wish to help spread the message. You need to cultivate those clubs/instructors not dwell on what you perceive to be their shortcomings. Teaching, mentoring, passing on information is all positive no mater the method. Every bit of it is important and has value. Are there better ways? Absolutely. Is yours one of them? Possibly but if you have nothing good to say about how things were done before your method came about you will alienate those who may have taught as long or longer than you and its going to be hard to get them to listen to what you have to offer. That is human nature.

Dennis
You don't understand and I don't expect you to. Why? I played nice with clubs that I belonged to for decades, yet they all didn't care about a better way to bring in new members. Why?
Because they realized that if they accepted my method and it worked as well as they witnessed, my message to all clubs is that I have a way to essentially double or triple their membership in a very short time frame. Then there are those who didn't like flying with more than one or two planes in the air at the same time. That is what clubs had a problem with. Literally hundreds of those I trained who came from hundreds of different clubs over the years all told me the same story. Their club instructors were great people but due to many factors, they couldn't get much in the way of flight instruction. Many had been waiting years and had several crashes along the way, with the help of their instructors, still were waiting to learn how to fly. Some of those I trained emailed me back after I trained them and told me they were shunned by their club's instructors for going out of the fold to take lessons from someone else and finally earn their solo wings. One of my graduate students from out your way, explained how his club didn't allow him to take the wings test even though when he was with me, we went over the test and I had him practice until he got it down pat. So he joined another club and made sure he didn't tell them he took lessons from me. He passed his test with flying colors.

Some veteran pilots said they have never heard any complaints from his club's beginners. Yeah right, beginners are going to bite the hands that feeds them by voicing complaints about the shortcomings of their club's training system.

Dave Mathewson's column

What’s unique about Clarence’s method is

that he instructs without the use of a buddy
box. I’ve had several members of our District
II team who have flown with Clarence tell me
his method works, but frankly I was still a bit
skeptical, so when Clarence offered to come
to my club’s field and give a demonstration, I
took him up on his offer.
What I saw was rather impressive.
Whether it was his technique, his demeanor,
his flying ability, or a combination of all
these, I was impressed with what I saw. In
less than a tank of fuel he had one of our
members hovering a helicopter.
One of our newer students, who had only
one flight under his belt, was shooting
landings in his first flight with Clarence. This
member’s young son, after just a few minutes
with Clarence’s help, flew the remainder of
the flight up to the landing by himself.
I was most impressed with the success
my wife had. She’s flown a little on a
simulator and probably has roughly two
minutes of actual stick time on a RC model.
Clarence took the trainer to altitude and
handed her the box. After several minutes of
instruction he backed away and she flew the
remainder of the flight without any
assistance then shot a successful landing
with minimal help from Clarence.
I’m certainly not saying this technique is
for everyone, nor do I even know if it will
work for someone other than an instructor
with Clarence’s mild mannered approach,
but if you’re interested in learning more, you
can E-mail him at [email protected].

Last edited by fliers1; 04-03-2019 at 05:26 AM.