RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 06:47 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Ernie, I'm not sure how CF105 got the Avro Arrow. It did fit some of the clues, up the that point, but not all of them. Then again, it was early in the quiz so anything is possible, like me getting a subject that is getting on your nerves. I don't think anyone has done that before though I could be wrong. Anyway, back to the quiz:
Looking for an aircraft:
1) This plane used a unique method of construction
2) The country that designed and built this plane normally imported it's aircraft
3) This plane was a single seater
4) This plane used an engine manufactured in one of the countries that normally supplied aircraft to it's country
5) This plane had a comparable top speed to a plane designed and built around the same engine, in the country the engine was manufactured in
6) This plane was very similar to a plane built in another country as it's design was highly influenced by that foreign built aircraft
7) This plane's armament was all carried externally, unlike other contemporary aircraft
8) This planes armament packed more punch than any of its contemporaries designed armaments, though some did match it through modifications after being deployed
9) This plane was cancelled after 5 were built when more advance planes with superior performance became available through other sources
10) This plane had something in common with two other famous aircraft built on another continent
11) This plane was a low winged aircraft of conventional design for the time period
12) The four other aircraft referred to in this quiz all flew in combat and had good to exceptional combat records
13) Of the other four aircraft, two of them used radial engines manufactured by different companies while the other two used liquid cooled engines from the same company
14) The liquid cooled engine powered several famous "classic" aircraft. A majority of these were built under license to power one specific aircraft
15) The subject aircraft used a single, radial engine
16) Unlike the plane that inspired it, our subject plane used a wing design that included three spars
17) Clue 1 was due to the abundance of some materials and the lack of others needed to build the plane
18) The first plane was seriously damaged in a landing accident at the end of it's maiden flight, never to fly again. The other four never flew due to the events mentioned in clue 9

Good Luck
Okay; I was misreading your response to CF105; wherein you stated "The Arrow was also built around a Canadian made engine that was never installed due to developmental problems. The subject plane was designed and built around the engine that was used.".

I thought you were saying the subject aircraft of your question used the engine that was actually used on the Arrow. Okay; I think I'm back on track now. Thanks; Ernie P.