RCU Forums - View Single Post - 3W Bearcat with Moki 300
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 12:22 PM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

SURPRISE!!! I'm back after getting sidetracked with a big old jet project:
but now I'm done so it's back to the Bear. But first I'm wondering how Detlef's gear is coming along? And how about Rob's Bearcat. Is it still chugging along?

I decided to tackle the wings first. This brings me to the hinges. This particular kit has a known problem with the hinges breaking inflight. Take a look at the first picture and you will see why. I could NOT believe what I found when I back lit the hinge with a flashlight - see the first picture. The manufacturer decided to put a big hole right in the most highly stressed part of the hinge: the base. And yes, they are all that way. I cannot imagine any reason for this other than possibly to align them on installation but what a BAD idea.

Both Rob and Detlef cut the old hinges out and replaced them (this on a $3K+ kit. . . . ). I chose a different course. I made a lay up of uni-directional carbon fiber with two layers of Kevlar (pic 2) and cut it into L-brackets. I then hysol'd them to the existing hinge bases (pic 3). The hinges are now indestructible.

Last two pics show gun blister removal. I was so happy when I flush cut them off to find the wing structure still intact - YAAAAYYY! No backing up big gaping holes. Just needed a little fill.

Now it's time to figure servo installation and control linkage.

Last edited by mitchilito; 04-03-2019 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Add pics