RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito oil mix
Thread: Saito oil mix
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 06:02 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Go 16:1 when breaking in, then up it to 20:1 on the next gallon. These are essentially glow engines with a gas car and ignition, and glow uses a lot more oil than a 2 stroke gas ever will. I broke my FG-11 in on 16:1 full synthetic, and Saito wants only Synthetic to be used. Been using Lucas full syn, and switched to Amsoil full syn.

I have a pair of FG-30 that I cam getting ready to break in as well, and reading the manual they recommend between 15-20:1 oil full syn. Better to have more oil than less since the only way the tappets, rockers and valves get lubed is through the fuel.

When I first ran the FG-11 I had it at 20:1 and and after 10 minutes at gurgling rich to be 4000 @ WOT, there was no oil coming out of the vent so that concerned me that not enough oil was getting to the parts so I increased it to 16:1 and started to get some oil showing, then I was happy that the bottom and top were getting sufficient oil . It took 2 tanks to break in, and that was nearly 2 hours of run time on 24 ounces of fuel.

Here it is during break in, note the nice black spot underneath. That was the most oil ever out of that engine, once it was tuned for flight there were just a few specs of oil on the plane.