RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 05-01-2019, 07:23 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
As most of you know, I am building a second Baron, a simple three-channel trainer for La Coupe Des Barons in September. https://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons It occurred to me that the English company, Laser, used to produce a 45 and a 50 sized engine, which would comply with the rules, and I thought that, as an Englishman, it would be "ubercool" as young people say, to run a Laser in this year's competition. I put a post up on the British RCM&E website to see whether anyone had one of these engines for sale. I was told that the Laser 50 had the same crankcase as a Laser 62 and though this engine would not comply with the rules, it was suggested that I could fit an over-sized engine and enjoy the benefits of extra power! I own a laser 62 and having inspected my it I noticed that it has "62" stamped into the mounting lugs. I thought of filing the number off and entering the competition with it.
Inasmuch as we can joke about "breaking the rules", being as old and wiser as we should be, the fun is lost when we do things with an unfair advantage. Personally, I'd just put an engine in that fits the rules, and have a blast (great fun) doing it. This Baron event sounds like my kind of competition, all for the fun of doing it. Your thoughts are only in passing?

Having come back into the workshop I looked at the model again and thought, "That starboard wing looks a lot closer to the table than the port wing." I cleared the table of debris and found that after sixty years experience of building model aircraft, minus the sex and drugs and rock'n'roll years of course, I'd built one wing with 2cms (just over 3/4") more dihedral than the other! Divine retribution?
Oh, I seriously doubt that "le seigneur des hôtes" is desiring any harm upon us. I did similar with my 1959 Berkeley .09 Impulse "single channel pylon racer" (an early oxymoron if I ever heard of one ), clamped the bulkhead in tight using Titebond Aliphaltic resin carpenters glue. Given the "precision cut" Berkeley kit die cutting resulted in the cheek cowls being installed 3mm closer than wanted, eliminating use of my sort of period correct 1963 A.C. Gilbert .11 Thunderhead I wanted to use. Now it will sport a Cox .09 Medallion R/C.