RCU Forums - View Single Post - FRSky Taranis Beginners Support Group
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 08:36 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
It appears that it would be best practice to put the two lower rate lines in the aileron inputs and not the mixer.
Correct?
Correct!
All things that effect the overall control authority of a stick/slider/pot/switch (like rates or expo) should be usually done on the Inputs page. Use the Mixer to link an Input item to one or more Channels (and further modify the amounts, if needed). So normally put all your rates/expos on the Inputs section for that control. This has the advantage that if you need to change the amount of a rate (or expo), you only have to do it once in one spot, rather than doing it on multiple channel lines in the Mixer. And it keeps things separated and therefore less possibility for confusion.

Note that the Inputs page is just a list - things do not have to be listed in channel order there, so your aileron stick could be #6 on the list, and as long as you link to that Ail on the mixer page for Channel 1, all will still work just fine.

On the mixing page when selecting a source, there can be two choices: "I1:Ail" (for example - which is short for "Input list item #1, named "Ail") which is the result of the Aileron stick AFTER any rates/expo/etc. have been applied from the Inputs tab. There is also a plain "Ail" selection, which is the raw 100% value coming from the Ail stick without any adjustments. It's easy to pick the wrong one, and then things don't seem to work correctly. To help keep things clear, I usually rename the Input to include the letter I. So "Ail" becomes "AI". That helps me make sure I am using the result rather than the unmodified stick amount in the mixer, unless, of course, I really want to do that.

An exception to the above is if you are only doing very simple modification to the authority for a control, then it doesn't even have to be listed on the Inputs page at all. Just use the raw value version as a source on the Mixer. This is most commonly done for switches, where all you usually want is the native +100,0,-100 values coming in to the mixer, and then modifying it there to send the actual amount of motion desired out to the servo.

Last edited by tedsander; 05-22-2019 at 08:43 PM.