RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dumas scarab 55" build
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 04:04 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper607
I worked on the boat today, more the engine than boat. I gutted the spark plug to tap for a glow plug only to realize the ID was too big to tap for the glow plug. After coming up with several bad ideas I decided to buy a cheap 10mm to glow plug adapter from eBay and as soon as it arrived I realized I have a 14mm spark plug. So now today I modified and tapped the 14mm spark plug for the 10mm to glow plug adapter. I figured I would do it this way first before spending more (3 times) on the correct adapter. I also pulled the old drive shaft and tube out of the boat, the old one was kinked and sloppy, it also used a liner which I am doing with out. Another thing I did with the engine was cut some of the casting back and tried to tap some holes for motor mounting bolts, which when I went to tap it it wouldn't go and was a mess and I ran out of time. I started to lay out the exhaust out of 1/2 and 3/8 copper piping and figured I should route it a little different to get away from the radio box a little more, so I need a coupling for that. I want to cover up the hole for the old tunned pipe, I am going to try some white epoxy to see if that works.
With that said I still need to make a bracket for the exhaust springs to the engine for the exhaust manifold and maybe a stabilizer for the exhaust. Drill the transom for the exhaust and solder the exhaust together and add a nipple for water. Bend up some engine mounts. A set screw or something for the starter pulley. Install the stuffing tube, cut and install drive shaft. Install nipples into cooling head on engine. Plumb water cooling. Mount servo box and servos, route control cables for servos. Reglue mounts for hatch and add some screws or some thing. I guess I need a gas tank of some sort. Once that short list is complete I need to run the engine and tune it for nitro. And finally hit the water... after a much longer list.
Any updates on the Scarab ?