RCU Forums - View Single Post - Don't call it a comeback...
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 08:36 AM
D3MON

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jdiamond
After a decade away, I've decided to get back into the hobby. Not even sure why I stopped...life happened I guess. Been spending the past couple of weeks re-familiarizing myself with everything, and I'm amazed that so little has really changed it would seem. I could still build my truck identically as I had before, everything still available.

My truck literally sat on a shelf for about 8 years without being run. At first I thought the engine might be seized, but I did a pretty good job of storing, and after a little bit of massaging, I got it turning freely again...but man that thing was stiff with thick oil. Charged the bats, dumped in some 10 year old fuel(lol), and it fired right up!

What has changed though, sadly, is that the local outdoor track (Nuclear RC) is no more. Looks like some idiot politicians ruined that for everyone. Shame. That was such a nice track to go to and practice/race. I really liked going there at lunch on weekdays to practice. I suppose now I need to find somewhere near me in Frederick MD where I live now. Not much turning up, though looks like Hobbytown USA has an indoor track. I really prefer outdoor for some reason, plus the freedom to just show up and practice. I guess there's no shortage of construction sites to play around on, but a track would be so much better. Might have to explore some options in starting something up if I stick with it this time

Gonna work more on the truck, finish what I started really. Got some body ideas too, I still have all of my vacuum forming tools, and now I have a 3d printer to do some parts and even make custom forms.

Looks like these forums are still reasonably active
welcome back to the hobby! i took a break about that long to, didn't really mean too, but life happens as you said.
definitely want to see some pics! its kind of interesting as some of my more favorite rigs to run happen to be discontinued and seem to have to have been for 9+ years, parts are quite difficult to find. still love running them, i just take it a bit easier on them... only a bit though!