RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 02:16 AM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Lonnie,

I haven't forgotten about your 15 degree elbow. Just need to make something small and lightweight.

Pete,

I had been thinking about actually placing the pressure tap thru one of the welds already there.
We do that competitor benchmarking right across the street from here. They buy cars, tear them apart and spread them out on tables. We are free to go there any time and check them out. Interesting to say the least

My job is Experimental Metal Model Maker in building show and concept cars. About 10 years ago however I was drafted into designing and building the electrical systems for those cars.

No "rose colored " glasses here at all. I said the Lucas Electrics on MY bikes worked well. I am aware of electrical problems among ALL makes and they ALL had their share over the years.
I always said Lucas electrics were no better than the last person who worked on them as 80% of the problems I saw were induced by owners and "mechanics" . The later Lucas stuff like the switchgear from 1971 up and the useless starters on the Nortons and Tridents were pretty bad. But aside from a 1975 Trident that I always kick started, the bulk of my Brit rides had the very simple, and in the right hands, reliable AC alternator , zener regulated system. Always served me well but I have seen plenty that were damaged by sheer ignorance. Seems everyone wants to ground negative terminals, of course doing that on an AC Britbike will destroy the Zener, the rectifiers and in turn put DC on the alternator coils which can in turn demagnitize the magnets in the rotor, all of which he perpetrator will blame on the "Prince of Darkness".
We could also mention theAprillia and Maerelli snuff can switches on Ducati Benelli, Guzzi etc. Very high failure rate but with minimal maintenance they can last darn near forever.
The Erector set 1955 Triumph has fully functional Lucas electrics to this day. After 65 years, it is all original, save for the new battery , point/condensers, Lodge spark plugs . I replaced the old BPF Tungsten bulb with a Halogen unit and I put new tail bulbs in every year regardless.

Like I said, the Lucas electrics I have used treated me quite well

Getting This well used old timer out of the mothballs . Going in a 1978 era Sig Kadet MK 1 three channel taildragger I just rebuilt.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 06-20-2019 at 03:04 AM.