RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 07:03 PM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Saito FA82 CR Mod

Onward with the 82 mods! Compression ratio is now 11.75 to 1. No peak rpm increase from the previous 10.5 to 1 CR but on the other hand no losses either. There is however a very noticeable increase in throttle response from midrange rpm to peak rpm, just as there was with the previous CR increase. 1750 idle rpm is very smooth and reliable.

I think with the latest CR increase the engine may be on the cusp of over compressing using 15% nitro content where further increases may bring on unwanted effects eg detonation and an unpredictable hsn.

I recently picked up a pnuematic pencil grinder so the next mod will be a little mild porting of the intake and exhaust runners. Currently there are no short turn radii on this engine, just sharp 90° bends which should be fairly easy to relieve. I may also take time to grind reliefs into the valve stems behind the caps as well. Undercutting.

Notes:

1. Raising the compression ratio beyond 10:1 requires removal of material from the bottom of the cylinder for case clearance.

2. Raising the compression ratio to 10.5:1 requires all mods in note #1 as well as shortening the pushrod tubes.

3. Raising the compression ratio to 11.75:1 requires all the mods in note #2 & #3 and may be reaching close to max because the quench zone is reduced to .018". Raising CR beyond 11.75:1 may require remachining the combustion chamber quench zone or piston top as well as bottom tapping the cylinder mounting holes in the case.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 06-28-2019 at 02:57 PM.