RCU Forums - View Single Post - Drogue Chute controller for Jeti radios
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2019, 06:14 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Hi Guys, I the other half of the chute collaboration with Dave. My half is the used fighter pilot with over G'd single brain cell that just wanted to mash the button and have a cool chute pop out the back of the F-105. My friend Frank, who flies a Saab Draken, who has been using the D4S system for several years introduced me to the idea that it was a little more than mashing the button.

As Dave stated my first idea was to use Jeti logic switches to make some safety interlocks to prevent accidental deployment in flight. Of course I would have to figure out how a logic switch would work first, which at present I have no idea. I discussed this with Dave after we met at FIF in May and he said it would be very easy to do with a Lua program. I said what's a Lua? And my education began. Lua, Arduino, CMOS, 74LS, esp8266,... way over my pay grade but WOW, did Dave produce a really cool auto chute program. He got me smart enough to install and run a Lua program on the DS-24 and I have been beta testing each of his revisions. It is really slick program by a talented programmer, and with the exception of the hall sensor does not rely on telemetry data, just switch positions on the radio.

My questions are about how important and useful certain thing are since I have never used a chute before.
Is it important to have the chute available at half flaps for crosswind landings or aborted takeoff? Or just for full flaps?
Do you want it to deploy at touch down or after wheel spin up or being on the ground a certain time?
What about a bounce?
We need to taxi back with flaps up with out dropping the chute. No self respecting fighter pilot would taxi back with flaps down or speed brakes open. So Dave has programmed a really neat jettison consent switch.
Do we really need a wheel sensor or weight on wheels sensor or maybe just auto deploy when brakes are applied.
What do you guys think?

Anybody using a chute before please chime in here for the novice.

Many thanks Dave for helping me with this project for the F-105. I plan to get back to the 105 project in late summer after completing the Havoc project I on now.

Thanks,
Gary