RCU Forums - View Single Post - What Does the Future Hold?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 03:15 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
We have a civilized conversation going. Let's keep it that way.
I can see Hydro's point that the AMA does some wasteful spending. It operates like a 70's era organization with a printed information source and focusing on owning pieces of physical property. I also see Speed's point that they are earnestly working on aeromodeling's behalf and deserve our support even if we don't agree with everything they do.
Myself, I see an organization that's in a tight spot, trying to serve all of its members. A lot of us like the magazine. I read it. And it does fulfill the requirement that every organization has to communicate what it's doing for its members. Without the magazine, they'd still need a newsletter or a regular email. It's another conversation whether that would be as effective. Probably not. I also see value in seeing contests and events covered. I wouldn't know anything about Joe Nall, Nats, Top Gun, CL or FF, pattern or scale competition without the magazine. It adds value to my hobby. But, of course, some see it as a waste of money because they aren't paying the AMA for information. To be fair, a magazine is more of a baby boomer and earlier generation way of getting information. The AMA may have to figure out something else as younger generations just click for what they want, whether it's actually better information or not.
On the broader topic of AMA's direction and use of funds, I don't envy the leadership. There are 4 distinct generations of AMA members right now, and they have vastly different values and priorities. AMA has straddled the fence the best they can, but have also taken flack for not picking a position on certain topics. I do think they've made good choices on representing us to the FAA. This is uncharted territory for them, and they got the FAA to nearly leave us alone entirely. For a first effort, I'm impressed.
I'm an AMA member. It's not much of a question for me as I fly at an AMA chartered field and am required to have the insurance. But even if I didn't, I still see value in what the AMA does for aeromodeling.
I WAS AMA for many years. Until the day came when my club needed the AMA. And the AMA on that day REFUSED to fight for AMA members. And it wasn't much of an effort we asked for either. A single signature. OK, fine! The rest as they say, is history. I've been quite happy as a renegade.