RCU Forums - View Single Post - Foam core .40 size profile fuse?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2003, 08:33 AM
AcroJo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Foam core .40 size profile fuse?

ORIGINAL: JIVE TURKEY
Light is the key, obviously, but the gen. consencus is that a foam wing can't be built as light as a built-up one. Man, someone out there with foam cutting/building exp. please help prove 'em wrong, so we can spit these simple (should be more simple to build) planes out, at the rate we crash 'em!!!!!!!!!!!
p.s. how about foam core flying surfaces????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jive, You gotta check out the "Pigi" from hobby lobby for an example of a light epp wing. The wing is hot wired to shape, then they go one step further and hollow it out. Very light with the strength offered thru opposing surfaces. I started collecting stuff to make a bow for a hot wire. As far as control surfaces I've seen the use of "Depron" which I'm trying to research.
On a simpler side in the range of low tech manufacturing, I often thought of white or blue foam which can be cut or shaped easily and laminated with one piece of veneer ( from TE to LE and back around to TE ) Very strong, will not wind (twist) and no deflection under stress. White foam needs 3M spray adhesive, not sure about blue foam. Epp foam you can use contact cement (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) for a permanant bond.
I'm leaning towards a hollow epp but at some point in time will try a laminated foam wing. Joe