RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 07-14-2019, 10:11 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Morning Again Joe

I'm too impatient to use traditional finishes! I am going to use Solartex as the covering. Dark green/olive drab for the fuselage and Antique for the wings and tailplane. Many Americans find it strange that I am not going to finish it in orange overall as the Good brothers did but I have extensive stocks of Solartex in these colours, I have no plans to use the Olive Drab on anything else, and I was aways brought up to be careful with money! Besides the only Big Guff which flew in Europe for many years was the late Peter Russell's model which was finished in black and yellow heavyweight tissue. Mr Russell used to write articles regularly in the aeromodelling press.

I will be using a Laser four-stroke glow engine in the Big Guff, either a 70 or an 80. The 80 might over-power it but it is nearly 4 ozs (110 grammes) heavier than the 70 which might help get the c/g right.

La Coupe Des Barons takes place in September this year. We will be taking down a team of seven pilots this time. Last year I was the sole representative of the club and the only Englishman to participate in the event. There was a German contestant who is married to a French woman who owns property nearby and a pilot from Switzerland too. Neither of these countries are far away from Ste Marie d'Alloix where the competition is held. I have built two Barons in case I damage one of them just before the event. Needless to say, your humble servant, a qualified instructor in two countries, has contrived to damage both of them at the same time! I do not usually give my models names but I finished the first one in WW1 Russian colours and the second one in inter-war RAF colours, consequently they are Boris and Bertie respectively! I ran an electric motor last year but will run an OS four-stroke this year. Anybody got a spare cylinder-head for an OS 52 Surpass?

Being a bit of a linguist it occured to me yesterday that the French word "coupe" means a cup but it also means a cut, and if something is "coupé" it means it's been cut. In automotive terms then, I suppose that a "Coupé" is a car which has had its roof and/or chassis cut or shortened!

Must close as a seamstress is coming round later to shorten my curtains. I have to tidy the house a bit!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 07-14-2019 at 10:20 PM.