RCU Forums - View Single Post - Resurrection of Super Sportster 40
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 09:35 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Resurrection of Super Sportster 40

Old balsa kit builder here. I have taken an interest in an old Great Planes Super Sportster 40 I have laying around the house. It has taken a beating while in storage over the years. I will post some photos as time passes. The model has not yet been flown. It was 98% complete when it went into storage many decades ago. At this point in time I would say it is 75% complete. Amazingly I found a tube of 100 year old (a little exaggeration) yellow Monokote yesterday at an old-old hobby shop. I purchased it because it matches what is on the plane and it is likely I will never see it again. Over the decades the Sportster lost its tail, many ribs, some center sheeting, the canopy, and some of the covering. There may be others doing some serious repair and/or rebuilding and I will look for your postings. I cannot seem to get this kit-building thing out of my blood. I grew up kit building. The quick-to-fly models seem to be all about flying. I have always broken the hobby down into four distinct parts. The building, the engine, the controls, and the flying. I realize there are LOTS of models that do not require an engine, that just happened to be my path of choice. When I was younger I did a lot of looking forward. Now days (at my ripe old age) I do a lot of looking backwards.