RCU Forums - View Single Post - AirCore 40 Trainer Revival Project
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 09:33 AM
TEBerg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the "pinch" test for my 2-stroke engines..

With the plane level and open full throttle: Quickly pinch (just long enough to stop fuel flow - less than half a second) the fuel line somewhere between the tank and the carb. If the RPM increases, you are not too lean yet. Lean the needle valve by a couple of clicks.

[for those with Remote Needle valve; you pinch between the tank and the needle valve]

After 10-15 seconds for the engine to "settle" then pinch the line again. When it "sags" or tries to die immediately, you are now at or past the max RPM (Too lean to fly) and need to back it out the needle valve a couple clicks.

Then, let it run a bit, test the transition from idle to full. If it no longer transitions well, you may need to re-set the idle mixture.

Then do 'nose in the air tests'.

Starting level, go to full throttle and then hold the plane pointed straight up at full throttle for at least 10 seconds, it should not sag or try to quit. Then bring the plane back to level.

Reduce the throttle to idle for at least 30 seconds - then tilt the plane nose up about 30 degrees for about 30 seconds. It may increase in RPM a little, but should not go to lean or try to quit (this is kinda simulating your landing approach).

It should keep running reliably in all of those orientations..

That's just my "generic" way of tuning a two-stroke if you don't have the manual..

Do NOT use this on a 4-stroke; gotta have a tach for them..

Last edited by TEBerg; 07-30-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: More clear detail