RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 01:20 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Here is the plan to build the Center Section that will ultimately join the right and left wing panels together.

Before I can start to assemble the Center Section, four (W1) ribs need to be reinforced with 1/8" birch plywood doublers shown. These will be epoxied to the appropriate side(s) of each rib. Care must be taken to be sure that each doubler is epoxied on the correct side of each rib...

So here is a bit of a building tip that I often use when epoxying small parts onto something larger such as you see here. After applying the epoxy, use small spring clamps securing the parts together. These spring clamps will do a good job of applying enough clamping pressure to hold the parts in alignment. If needed, you can slide the parts if they move out of alignment. I will keep the spring clamps on for about 10 or 15 minutes. Checking the unused epoxy left in my mixing cup will tell me when the epoxy is starting to firm up a bit.

Once the epoxy has started to firmed up, I remove the spring clamps. Lay them on a flat surface and apply weight over the top and allow them to fully cure. If I had tried to go from spreading the epoxy to this point I can pretty much assure you that the parts will have slid out of alignment, causing you pain and aggravation. Allowing the epoxy to firm up, gives just the right amount of resistance that stops parts from sliding.

Last edited by VincentJ; 08-19-2019 at 07:22 AM.