RCU Forums - View Single Post - Basic (stupid) ESC +2.4ghz receiver question
Old 08-20-2019, 11:41 AM
numba20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mfr02
Under propping rarely causes motors to overheat. Too much prop overloading the motor and causing it to run slower does that, as does not having working water cooling if the original was intended for it. If it isn't going as fast as intended, a smaller prop spinning faster gives a faster boat and longer run time with a cooler motor at the cost of a bit of lost accelleration.

As Hydro Junkie said, if it is a single board, or a sealed box, it is likely to be proprietary, i.e. not intended to work with standard items. Having said that, if a standard servo has been used, the black wire will likely be ground, the red wire +5 volts (or thereabouts) and the white will be signal. Or, on many, brown, red, yellow in that order.
I suppose I should have elaborated a bit more. The boat is 2" bigger than the UDI001, and probably 5x the weight. Not to mention running wet (because of increased weight and being a submerged prop, as it was designed for surface drive. In order to achieve similar speeds, the boat will need a more aggressive prop, or faster motor. Needless to say, the motor does have more load in the set up than what it did in the Venom boat, and the slower speeds are not doing any favors for the water cooling system, but the motor is still able to reach about the same RPM.

I am wanting to find a brushless motor for it anyway. It shouldn't run as hot as the brushed 370 to begin with, but I doubt the current ESC will work with one. and if I replace the ESC for an ESC for a brushless motor, then I lose the receiver. Because Hydro Junkie was right, It is a single circuit board. And yes, it uses a standard micro servo.

I think I may have found my own answer. But I need to consult as I am no expert here. The ESC and receiver of the UDI005 are separate units. it is a brushless boat. So I am thinking this should work. I have found the receiver for that boat on Ebay for $8.99. Now, my reservations. The remote has low battery indicator, low signal indicator (range), and steering and throttle trim adjustments. I would LOVE to keep the functionality of these. As far as I can tell, all of these things are done by the receiver, correct? Or does the receiver just send the signal to the ESC which houses the brain for these functions? Assuming all of the settings are controlled in the receiver all I would need to do is find a brushless motor ESC combo with reverse capabilities to maintain full functionality of what I have now? Or does the ESC play a part in the low battery/throttle trim settings? Is this something that can vary depending on the units, or is it straight across the board?

Last edited by numba20; 08-20-2019 at 11:44 AM.