RCU Forums - View Single Post - Schira-DOW 3rd counter rotating propellers
Old 09-14-2019, 06:45 PM
Maurice Pudlo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dimensions are very rough at the moment; still waiting on the plastic model to get here for me to take measurements from.

What I've worked up to is 800in^2 total wing area and a flying weight not to exceed 175oz. (I'll draft out a more accurate wing area when the model gets here)

As for construction, I'm leaning toward fiberglass 0.75oz.yd^2 to form the exterior with balsa formers and some stringers. I'll be doing the tried and true carve a plug, make a fiberglass mold process. I've made a few things like this (car parts mostly) but never an RC airplane.

How many layers of glass am I looking at needing? Yeah i know, that's a loaded question, and i know that. Let's just say I'm guessing this is going to end up being a fairly heavy model 10+lbs, hows the glassing go on those (layer wise)?

e-calc propCalc has given me a pretty good idea on what the power system is going to weigh, so I've got to go about looking at control surface areas to pick out servos.

If I have any weight room left I'll know how beefy or feather light I need to make the airframe.

At least that's how I'm looking at this right now.

I will absolutely swing an off the shelf 4 blade prop of whatever pitch and diameter will easily keep the plane well above stall speed and leave me room to power out of a situation if need be.

Maurice Pudlo