RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli SBD-3 Dauntless build
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 09:04 AM
BatteryBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All parts on the plane, but the canopy and cowl are just set in place at this point. I will need to figure out how the rails for the canopy go. I've seen 2 approaches, and I'm not sure which is scale but I have the books to check. Or I may follow Tom P's advice and leave them fixed.

So I have a question - how would you store the fuse for 7 months in 60% humidity climate? I'm assuming that with all the sheeting and Superfil filets it should be stable. Having said that, I don't know the strength of Superfil at the thin layer I have. I had planned to get the glass on and a few coats of polycrilic. I plan to remove the engine mount (gray piece) and stand the fuse upright.

I am tentatively Ok with the control surfaces. My approach to finishing this will be to lay down some rivets and then add the appropriate strips of Solartex carefully over. The detail is really only seen close up, but anything more like pinking strips just seems to be too much.

At this point, I'm just looking at the prop clearance to get an idea of where and how I'll attach this cowl mount brackets. I'll do a little more to make sure I have the cowl spaced so the face is parallel to the prop, but this looks pretty good to me.

Finished making the cut out for the windscreen and control panel. I added the opening for the front guns to rest and have cut that detail from the dbalsa panel.

My initial fit of parts. I know that I will need to put the floor panels in first, but I needed to see how the dash parts came together in relation to the windscreen. If anyone knows of a good thread for putting in a dbalsa cockpit, not necessarily a SBD, please let me know. Tom's detail is, of course, great. For example, I assume I need to fill in some of the raised areas with balsa and support other areas (like the lower dash) will ply. I see some people screw these in and other epoxy.