RCU Forums - View Single Post - top flite p-51 giant scale build
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 07:43 PM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jstanton
I just picked up the RTC version of this kit and I have a couple of questions. I see the recommend engine for this plane was a US 41. I have a good running EME 35 gas engine that spins the same size prop as the US 41 and produces 21 lbs of thrust. Has anyone out there flown this plane with a 40cc gas engine? If so did it have enough power to fly scale like? Also what is the length of the struts for the landing gear? I have a set of landing gear off off a Hanger 9 P-47 150 that I hope to use.
Jim, back in 2011 I originally installed a Saito FG36 in my TF 1/5 scale P-51. The Mustang flew with the FG36 but I had to use full throttle through most of the flights during the summer flying season. The FG36 just didn't have the power IMHO to fly it the way a Mustang should be flown. I swapped out the Saito for a DLE 55RA and what a difference it made in flying the Mustang. It is so enjoyable flying a Mustang with reserve power if needed. I am usually flying at 50% throttle and I would never recommend installing an engine in the Mustang less than 50cc. The length of the LG from the top of the strut to the center of the axle is 9 &3/4".

Roger