RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Giant Top Flite F6F Hellcat coming soon?
Old 09-30-2019, 12:09 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
Hi Guys.
I just ordered one of these along with a DLE 61. I want to but the Jtec Pitts Muffler but notice they offer 3 versions. I see some of you have used this combination. Below are the 3 versions offered. Which one fits the Hellcat?

Wrap Around Pitts Muffler for DLE 61 Qty: Price: $135.99 Large Wrap Around Pitts Muffler for DLE 61 Qty: Price: $169.99 Compact Wrap Around Pitts Muffler for DLE 61 Qty: Price: $135.99
The regular one will be fine. The compact unit is for narrow cowls.
If you already have the 61 then fine go with that but honestly the DLE 55RA has better performance. I’ve had both and the 61 is better suited to torque applications. The 55RA has more high RPM output and is a great match with a Xoar 22x10 prop. I flew both in my TF GS Corsair and I would go back to the 55RA immediately. In fact I have two 61’s, one is new, I’ll sell it to you if you’re set on that engine!

I have the Jtec compact Pitts muffler for TF models on my 61. I highly recommend cross drilling the socket cap screws for safety wire. Use thread lock, blue, and then safety wire the bolts correctly. I never have them come loose this way. Also another tip I do is to hone the head exhaust port face flat and the mating surface of the muffler flat before you put it together. Less chance of leaks this way and less likely to vibrate loose too.