RCU Forums - View Single Post - Types of glue??
Thread: Types of glue??
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 05:03 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

On small planes (glow planes up to about 1.20 size) I use medium CA(super glue to some) for general framing, ribs, fuselage bulkheads, sticks.

I always use 30min epoxy for firewalls, wing mounts, joining wing panels and attaching the tails, landing gear, etc.. and anything that will have more stress. That's about it.

I use Titebond II or III for large planes...( 50cc-100cc and bigger)..It's cheaper and stronger, cleans up very easily, but it does take a while to dry. No big deal though.

Your best bet is use epoxy and clamps for things like firewalls, etc.. as I mentioned above.

You're wasting your time using CA and then thinking your "reinforcing" with epoxy. Just use straight epoxy and clamps. Then if you want to do a small fillet or bead in the joint have at it, but forget the CA where you need epoxy.... The epoxy is far stronger when clamped then any CA joint. I'm not a fan of Sig Bond. It might be good stuff, but I have CA, epoxy, and Titebond readily available, so yeah... that's what I'm using.... Just CA and 30min epoxy will get a small plane built in no time at all.

I have several planes I've built that are over 20yrs old and seem to stand the test of time, and are well flown... Opinions do vary on this subject, but this is my experience of over 40yrs... I started well before CA glue was mainstream too.. LOL.. epoxy was hard to get too... We used a glue called Ambroid, and Testors had a clear glue too... and the old stand by was regular white glue... imagine that.. haha. Good luck with your building. Clamps are your friend man.