RCU Forums - View Single Post - Single Fan Thrust Vectoring VTOL Project - MonoPhan
Old 10-26-2019, 10:17 AM
UN.RCONT.OL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Change of design…

A step forward in flight capabilities, a step back in technology… Not sure how they go together but it is the truth! After building some fully transitioning units with proper algorithms, that I couldn’t really fly, because of lack of space and skills, I built this easy VTOL that I can totally fly at the park and enjoy.

This is the continuation of my quest to get a better flight time and cover more distances, merged with my love of FPV that I have recently tried. I also wanted to stick to my single fan philosophy which started this journey. I converted one of my MonoPhan units to this bird. Both wings are independently controlled, so I can maneuver the unit in tighter spaces. After many tests and crashes, this is what I got so far. I think I was able to create a very easy transitioning (just push the pitch stick forward) slow flyer VTOL.

It currently has 3 different attack angle settings. This test is utilizing the higher two , I transitioned back and forth a couple of times during this flight. If I want to go faster I have one more that gets the unit flatter and faster, which I still have to test and understand the maneuvering. If that is successful, I may change the settings to test some negative attack angles… When you are in trouble just release the stick and the unit starts hovering.

Still to test the flight time but not with these batteries. They got old and the C rating is not sufficient, as can be seen in the landing. As soon as I transitioned to vertical flight the unit basically crash landed. I can definitely use some advice on modifying the wings for higher lift. The shape and area are set, per tested. But would an aerofoiled design help, or is it not worth trying… Thanks!